In 2004, I was elected to serve Athens as a superdistrict Commissioner. My district covers half of the county and is made up of regular Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8. I ran on a campaign of open and inclusionary government, grassroots empowerment, intelligent growth, and environmental stewardship.

When I sought this position I promised myself I would serve with frankness and honesty or not at all. As a result, you always know where I stand, and, with the help of this blog, why. I love my community and am proud to serve it. You will find no finer community or people anywhere in the country.

Now, in 2008, I seek to continue to serve and look forward to an invigorating reelection campaign. I believe now, more than ever, that we must strive for openness and unity to ensure our bright future.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Look, Up in the Sky - it's Charter Service!

John Wolfe, our auditor, released the airport audit.  This is not breaking news as it has been out a while, and you can read it here.  There were a few proposals for more regulation of charter service, which I pointed out at the time was moot for now since all the charter was gone. 

I am very happy to say that we do indeed have charter.  Airstar, which was going to move to south Georgia, is staying to serve us.  That is great for the airport.  Also, we have two Athens to Atlanta services coming.  I know this is going to be a difficult challenge for these companies to sustain and profit, but I wish them the best.

I have a lot I would like to say about the airport, but I remain pretty darn silent on it all since I am an airport business owner.  Boy, is that frustrating! I am the one pilot and aviation business owner on the Commission, and I feel compelled to be silent as  I never want to create any perception of a conflict of interest.

However, all that will change soon once the sale of my business is complete.  So be prepared for 3.5 years of pent up opinions to be unleashed in true Dodson fashion as soon as my perceived conflict is lifted.

No comments: