In 2004, I was elected to serve Athens as a superdistrict Commissioner. My district covers half of the county and is made up of regular Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8. I ran on a campaign of open and inclusionary government, grassroots empowerment, intelligent growth, and environmental stewardship.

When I sought this position I promised myself I would serve with frankness and honesty or not at all. As a result, you always know where I stand, and, with the help of this blog, why. I love my community and am proud to serve it. You will find no finer community or people anywhere in the country.

Now, in 2008, I seek to continue to serve and look forward to an invigorating reelection campaign. I believe now, more than ever, that we must strive for openness and unity to ensure our bright future.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

The 10th District Race

Friends, Colleagues and Constituents:

Though I have enjoyed connecting with my district during this campaign
season and have looked forward to my next term of office, I regret that I
have informed the Supervisor of Elections to withdraw my name from the 10th
District Commission race. Very recently, changes for my family make me
uncertain I can promise four more years to my Commission duties. Penn,
Katie, Drew, and I will continue to enjoy and prosper in the Athens that we
love, and Penn and I will continue our commitment to service.

I have given my heart and spirit to this government and the people it
represents, and I am truly a better person for it. As challenging as this
job has been, I have been buoyed and inspired by the diverse people I
represent. What a privilege it has been. While challenges certainly
remain, I am proud of this government. We have worked hard at protecting
our county with an innovative mass grading ordinance, expanding
opportunities for equality and fairness with domestic partner benefits, led
the charge on making our system of justice more efficient and true to our
constitutional values. I have worked to expand economic activities, not
always without controversy, as the vice chair of the Industrial Development
Authority.

As much passion I have put into these and other issues, I am no island; and
I have had the fortune to serve with fellow commissioners of integrity and
compassion, strength and conviction. I have learned from them and been
inspired in partnering with them. While at times I have lain awake with
terror at the direction our government has traveled nationally, I feel
secure we have chosen wisely locally with our commission.

I look forward to continuing to serve my community outside of elected
office. Thank you for your support, criticism, and mostly for your
inspiration and devotion to each other. Though we may disagree from time to
time, I will leave government service more committed to the power of
community than ever before.

Elton Dodson

1 comment:

Bill Hudgins said...

Ok, I didn't see that coming. Sorry to hear this, and, naturally curious if everything is ok, In any case, all the best!