In 2004, I was elected to serve Athens as a superdistrict Commissioner. My district covers half of the county and is made up of regular Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8. I ran on a campaign of open and inclusionary government, grassroots empowerment, intelligent growth, and environmental stewardship.

When I sought this position I promised myself I would serve with frankness and honesty or not at all. As a result, you always know where I stand, and, with the help of this blog, why. I love my community and am proud to serve it. You will find no finer community or people anywhere in the country.

Now, in 2008, I seek to continue to serve and look forward to an invigorating reelection campaign. I believe now, more than ever, that we must strive for openness and unity to ensure our bright future.

Monday, June 23, 2008

A Commission without Carl

I was saddened to find out that Commissioner Carl Jordan, who was the vanguard of the current progressive Commission, will not be seeking reelection. He is a remarkably intelligent individual, with a keen eye and insightful instincts. Together, I believe we have been a powerhouse team for the 6th District, redefining how developers interact with neighborhoods and diverting appropriate resources to important infrastructure improvements. I will sorely miss that partnership, though I am comforted to know he will still be around (granted with a 3 minute time limit).

Carl, we frequently disagreed on details and even strategies, but my faith in your motives and love for Athens never waivered. I must admit having a desire to pack duct tape in my meeting briefcase from time to time, but your input and level of attention to your constituents has always greatly surpassed the negatives of your lengthy oratory. I am excited for Carl, as he can continue to advocate for the community now on his own terms and take as much vacation time in Idaho as he likes. I know his decision has added years to his life. I look forward to the final 6 months of partnership with Commissioner Jordan.

No comments: