In 2004, I was elected to serve Athens as a superdistrict Commissioner. My district covers half of the county and is made up of regular Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8. I ran on a campaign of open and inclusionary government, grassroots empowerment, intelligent growth, and environmental stewardship.

When I sought this position I promised myself I would serve with frankness and honesty or not at all. As a result, you always know where I stand, and, with the help of this blog, why. I love my community and am proud to serve it. You will find no finer community or people anywhere in the country.

Now, in 2008, I seek to continue to serve and look forward to an invigorating reelection campaign. I believe now, more than ever, that we must strive for openness and unity to ensure our bright future.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Reelection

I qualified today to run for a second term as your Superdistrict 10 Commissioner. I continue to be taken aback and humbled that this community has allowed me to represent them for the past 3 ½ years. I am also very honored to work with my colleagues who fill out the other 9 seats. Since my election, the composition of the Commission has only gotten better. Sharp minds, innovation thinking, and a devotion to community building are the hallmarks of our current Commission, and these hardworking folks are central to my decision to seek another term. I believe the next four years will bring greater focus and more team-building, allowing our government to work on the important big-picture issues in our community.

Contrary to criticism of our government a few years ago that we were a homogenous bunch, I think we have safely demonstrated that the Commission is a diverse group of community advocates. We have deep divisions from time to time, but I believe that range of opinion makes us stronger and more responsive to our constituents. I have a lot of work yet unfinished and I look forward to pressing forward and building a stronger community and an open government in the years to come.

No comments: