In 2004, I was elected to serve Athens as a superdistrict Commissioner. My district covers half of the county and is made up of regular Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8. I ran on a campaign of open and inclusionary government, grassroots empowerment, intelligent growth, and environmental stewardship.

When I sought this position I promised myself I would serve with frankness and honesty or not at all. As a result, you always know where I stand, and, with the help of this blog, why. I love my community and am proud to serve it. You will find no finer community or people anywhere in the country.

Now, in 2008, I seek to continue to serve and look forward to an invigorating reelection campaign. I believe now, more than ever, that we must strive for openness and unity to ensure our bright future.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Reelection Redux

It is always a negative in government when someone runs unopposed. It is bad for the public and bad for the incumbent, because it encourages complacency. So I very much welcome a vigorous campaign that allows the community to discuss the issues that matter to us. I am most excited to get out to the neighborhoods in the district and spend some time talking and listening. That has always been my favorite aspect of campaigning. A postcard or a phone call really doesn't connect you to people the way a house-call does.

On a personal note, I made a commitment to myself that I would only run for reelection if I winded down and sold my business (www.fly-firefly.com). It has consumed my time greatly as it has grown. Couple that with a 6 year old, a one year old, my fantastic wife, and a law practice, something had to go so I could remain confident I could devote myself to the Commission. So the business is being sold. It is always sad to give up something you have built, but my community comes first.

Finally, I must have received 8 phone calls yesterday asking me if the Mayor encouraged or otherwise put up my opposition to run. The answer is I don't have any idea and it doesn't matter. I hear the same things anyone else does. Yes, the Mayor and I have had some tense moments recently and throughout our time together. But we are both grown-ups and community leaders and I am confident disagreements are not enough to prevent us from continuing to work together. All I know is that Mike has said he will make my platform a priority and that makes me happy. I am sure he would not be pleased to hear people implying that he can't make his own decisions, because I know that he can. So there it is, let's make this about the issues and about public dialogue. I welcome the opportunity.

No comments: